Sunday, September 11, 2011

Campers on Mission

Days before tropical storm Lee threatened the Gulf coast, I received a callout for Diaster Relief to feed firefighters in the area West of Fort Worth. The deployment was canceled so I joined a group of Campers on Mission at East Texas Baptist Encampment for a work project. While the men remodeled the camp director's home and women painted, I worked in the kitchen.

Here I am joined by Chris, the camp cook, and Jan and Wanda in the dish room after preparing meals for 35 hungry volunteers. We began the day at 8:00 a.m. with prayer for the victums of Texas fires and others. The rest of the day I helped cook, serve and clean up after meals. After supper we had devotionals and song, and then played games until around 9 p.m.



On Thursday night, I presented a devotional on Isaiah 40:30-31. I asked the volunteers to look at their calling to serve and see where the Lord has verified that they were following His call.

When these unexpected moments hit us, we sometimes call it "A God Thing", as we all experienced Monday morning with clear blue skys and 50 degree temps after heavy rain, mud and the heat.





No comments:

Post a Comment