Saturday, June 5, 2010

On the road to Florida June 5, 2010

I've driven from Beaumont to Florida many times over the past 15 years. Each trip I've tried to discover something different. This trip I headed south from Tallassee to Tarpon Springs to visit Nick and Monique before going on to Orlando.

I try to learn and record something new about everything I encounter. Heavy ground fog or haze obscured the distant forest surrounding wet Louisiana rice fields. The rising sun blazed red through the mist casting glaring rays through the haze.

Traveling the Florida panhandle, I contemplated the swiftly forming off shore storms. Distant white clouds formed a back ground for heavy dark clouds, dirty wool pulled and stretched into tangled strands.

Devin and Chelsea volunteer at the Avian Reconditioning Center (ARC) where Devin demonstrates a red-winged hawk for visitors. Injured birds are brought here to be trained to enable them to be released into the wild.

Chelsea is spraying a 16 year-old Florida bald eagle, Windy. The eagle fell during a storm and broke her wind. She can not be returned to the wild and is used for educational programs.



From left to right are Devin, Windy the eagle, Chelsea, Hannah, Rachael, and me.

I wish I could spend more time here and learn enough about the birds to write about them.

1 comment:

  1. I sincerely hope you have a good time, the pics are excellent, when I lived in Spain I went to a falcon show it was really great I even held an owl at the end and me frightened of big birds.

    Take care.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete