Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Raining Bears

Prayers for rain to squelch the fires have been answered by a deluge. For the past week we've experienced severe rain and the threat of flooding. The rain doesn't squelch the kids enthusiasm.
Morning temps have in in the upper 40s with highs in the mid 50s.

In spite of rain we spent a long work day at the Mission Resource Training Center in Tok. Lynne, Babs and I worked on transplanting native flowering plants in front of the building and beneath the sign. We transplanted prickly tundra roses, wild blue flag iris, yellow potential, and native lupine that look like Texas bluebonnets.

 I spent too much time squatting on the restroom floor painting baseboards. Can you help me up?
Back at camp we fed the kids an outdoor hamburger picnic.

 Every year we try something new. Ms. Ellen came up with this wonderful idea for making fantastic bubbles.
 In spite of the rain, the campers enjoyed singing camp songs and hearing Bible stories. Program director, Mark, always includes a salvation message geared to the age range of the campers.
 We had a very unexpected visitor. Fortunately this two or three year old grizzly came Saturday after the campers had gone home. He was intent on rummaging through the remains of the hamburger party.
 The Martins were inside their RV closest to the dumpster and heard the bear rattle the lid. I was inside my RV and also heard the noise but thought it was Dale fixing something. Sassie paced the hall but didn't bark. Lynne called me (thank the Lord for cell phone, what if I had gone outside?). They began taking pictures out their open door.
I watched the bear leave the dumpster and head for the fire pit pivalion where he turned over a trash can. Dale ran to the dining hall to take pictures through a window. The bear returned to investigate.

Lynne tried to stay composed as the bear passed so close to the RV steps that she could hear his breathing. The door was open and the only thing that separated her from our visitor was a flimsy screen door! He lumber on into our back yard. I watched through my back window as he meandered into the forest. Sassie, the wimp, just stayed next to me.

I pay a lot of attention to Sassie's body language. She may not bark at 'boogers" but at least she senses or smells critters. I don't hike without her.
Until next time. Continue to pray for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment