Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Make a Difference

No photos this post. I've been really busy with a family reunion. But let's continue a discussion about Child Abuse Prevention. But first.....
Last Friday I was privileged to participate at Crafts4Life, hosted by the Pregancy Resource Center of Baytown. Many venders offered their wares to buyers. A silent auction was held, and I signed and sold books. I was so excited to spend time catching up with old friends, and makng new ones.
Prior to the crafts fair I spoke to a group of parents who were court ordered to attend parenting classes at the Pregnancy center. I was able to share with them the devistation fo SHAKEN BABY SUNDROME and the PERIOD OF PURPLE CRYING. None of the parents admitted to abusing their children, nor would I expect them to, but we were able to talk about the difference between discipline and abuse. We shared tips on parenting skills and ways to avoid loosing one's temper.
Now for some facts for 2009;
Texas received over 252,600 reports of child abuse or neglect.
More than 68,000 children were victims of abuse and neglect.
More than 27,000 chldren were in foster care.
So how can you help?
Report suspected abuse and/or neglect.
Become a CASA volunteer.
Donate clothing, diapers, etc to the Rainbow Room.
"Adopt" a case wowrker to provide moral support
Pray for the Abused and Neglected children and their caregivers

1 comment:

  1. Hi there Carol--

    I've added your Carol-weishampel.blogspot.com to the blog roll. Glad to have you join us at the midway point. I'll also follow your site. Try to comment on and follow as many other sites of those participating as you can.

    Have fun.
    Arlee Bird

    ReplyDelete